Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Operation Rolling Pin - Cranberry Kipferln

This was the sight that I awoke to this morning.

snow

After a bit of dancing around with excitement, I got down to business; Cranberry Kipferln - phase two of Operation Rolling Pin.

After my issues with the wet and sticky Linzer Sterne dough, these were a doddle. The dough comes together quickly and is rolled into a couple of long cylinders, wrapped in cling film and put in the fridge to cool for about an hour. My half moon shapes lack some consistency, but I can live with that.

kipferln3

After 12 minutes in the oven, the house smells divine and I have 60 or so cranberry kipferln to dust with icing sugar.

kipferln2

A perfect way to spend a snowy morning. What's going on at your place?

-----

Recipe: Cranberry Kipferln
Yield: 45 (I must make them particularly small because I got about 60 from the recipe)
Source: chefkoch.de


Ingredients:
50g dried cranberries
200g light butter/margarine
3 packets vanilla sugar
70g sugar
2 egg yolks
280g plain flour
100g almond meal
icing sugar for dusting

Method:
Finely mince the cranberries (I put mine in the food processor and gave it a good whizz).

In a bowl, cream the sugar, vanilla sugar and butter/margarine.

Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.

Add flour and almond meal and mix. At this stage you will have to knead the dough to bring it together. Add the finely chopped cranberries and knead them through the dough.

Form the dough into a couple of long, thin cylinders and wrap in cling film and put in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 175 deg C (160 fan forced)

Cut 1cm thick slices from the cylinder and form into crescent shapes.

Place onto a prepared baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes.

Once out of the oven, dust the kipferln with icing sugar and allow to cool thoroughly. Store in an airtight container.
-----

So, there you have it. Snow + baking = WIN.

Up next....Gingerbread.

2 comments:

Kim said...

oh, if only I had seen this a few hours ago, before I invested several spare egg yolks into a double batch of gingerbread. These sound delicious! Not all is lost though, I am thinking the cookie fiends won't be complaining about gingerbread.

Helen said...

Gingerbread should never be complained about!