Hot Cross Buns!
Obviously, my cross piping skills need some work, but I can attest to their utter deliciousness.
It also pleases my inner pagan that they taste just as delicious sans croix. I had to eat one of each, you know, for science.
I used this recipe, with some modifications:
- 4 teaspoons of mixed spice
- 1 cup currants & 1 cup of sultanas
- cooked in fan forced oven at 180 deg. C for 20 min.
- glazed the buns with heated golden syrup instead of water/sugar combination suggested in the recipe. I love golden syrup.
- made 16 smaller buns instead of 12.
I made my own mixed spice combo:
- 1.5 teasp. ground cinnamon
- 1.25 teasp. Lebkuchen gewürz
- 0.75 teasp. allspice
- 0.5 teasp. ground ginger
- pinch of ground black pepper
There will be more of these in my future.