Friday, March 14, 2008

Tea and Sympathy

Eventhough our Deutschkurs has finished, our little band of intrepid language aquirers have decided that we like each other enough to keep meeting once a week at a cafe for coffee and conversation (in Deutsch of course), or tea and sympathy - or perhaps a little of both. We are all in the same boat - we don't know many people and are looking to expand our circle of friends and improve our language skills.

The last time I was in a similar(ish) situation - new town, not knowing anyone, I had just finished university and moved to Darwin to start my first proper job. Darwin could possibly qualify as the friendliest town in the world. Within a week or so, I had received phone calls from friends-of-friends-of-friends inviting me somewhere - there were even squabbles between people within the same circle of friends as to who had befriended me first (I love a good bidding war). Darwin was way easier than Mainz as conversations were conducted in english, but I don't miss living in the tropics - 50 degrees north suits me just fine.

2 comments:

Nikki (www.bookpunks.com) said...

Yes Frankfurt. Actually that's where I have lived for the past two years. Dresden was a six month break.

Was in Mainz for the first time this weekend. Lovely place, at least the Bauwagonplatz is. Hope all is well.

Click

Charlotte said...

Glad to hear you're settling down. It makes a HUGE difference to have a group of friends, doesn't it?