Saturday, January 05, 2008

Blessed be....this House

While I was in town this morning, Richard had a visit from 3 wise men (well children dressed as the 3 wise men) and a star. Needless to say he was extremely perplexed.

After explaining what they were doing, the children sang him some songs and scribbled the following over our doorway:
20 + C + M + B + 08
Apparently this is a Catholic tradition to celebrate the Epiphany. So, you can all relax, we've been well and truly blessed.

All Richard could think was, "Helen will kick herself that she missed this."

He was right.

Although I suppose it is only fair that he have his share of strange experiences while answering the door, because I had mine during Halloween.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

My kids were Sternsingers this year (despite our not being Catholic nor church-goers) and had a wonderful time. I learnt a bit about this tradition - it's been going for 50 years in Germany, and this year raised a couple of million Euros for a street-children's project in Kenya.

Next year, make sure you're in! It will be worth it.

Helen said...

Charlotte - I'm sure your children made excellent sternsingers, and it is great to know that the money raised goes to such a good cause.

I've blocked out the dates around January 6 2009 in the diary already- I'm not missing out again!

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen,

I'm from the Kaiserslautern SnB group at Ravelry. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog! I've always wondered what those chalked numbers meant ... now I know :)