Monday, March 21, 2011

Rehab

The second knee surgery was just over 4 weeks ago and I've been busy recovering and rehabilitating.

I feel as though for the last 6 weeks, since my foray into the world of knee surgery, I have been constantly in either the surgeon's waiting room or the physiotherapist's treatment room being poked, prodded, stretched, pulled, pushed, massaged and Pilates-ed. Add to that some swimming and pool work as well as some low key cycling and that fairly well covers my life since mid February.

Of course, as fate would have it, R had planned a 4 week trip to Australia 4 days after the surgery, so I had to hobble around as best I could without him. I will admit to having a cheese sandwich for dinner on more than one occasion.

I've been pondering the idea of continuing with the Pilates portion of my rehab once the proscribed physiotherapy has finished. Lord knows, my 'core' could use some strengthening. I have flirted with Yoga over the years and I must admit, it is not for me. The only bit I liked was right at the end of the class with the meditation/nap.

Is Pilates basically Yoga in Lederhosen?

12 comments:

jb said...

Bugger flirting with Yoga. How about flirting with me on occasion...?

Helen said...

Ha! Flutter, flutter.

Rute said...

Hope you get in shape soon!
Yoga is definitely not for me... (I would fall asleep before the meditation part)

Virginia said...

Helen
I've found yoga in the last few months. OH MY! I love it, and I wonder why I've waited so long to find it. For me it's been so .........relaxing, stretching,..........haaaaaaaaaaaa
V

Helen said...

@Rute - Thanks. I think my main problem with Yoga is my lack of flexibility.

@Virginia - I am a bit envious. Enjoy!

G in Berlin said...

Glad the therapy is helping. I started yoga in February at the VHS and loved it so much that I added a second class. I find it tremendously helpful with my nagging plantar fasciatis. As the class ends in two weeks I'm planning on switching one of them out for Pilates, which I hear is fabulous, so am glad to hear that you recommend it as well.

Helen said...

@G - The Pilates that I have done during my rehab sessions is HARD, but good. I am working on strengthening the muscle groups around my knees to help support the joint better.

I hope you enjoy your Pilates class.

Kim said...

This conversation is making me feel like I should stand up straight and touch my toes at the same time.

Helen said...

Kim - and while you're at it - pat your head and rub your tummy (whilst walking and chewing gum).

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

ouch, I just fell over, elbowed myself in the stomach and choked on the gum.

Kate said...

I have dumped both yoga and pilates after a very short flirting period with them. Speaking of flirting....