Friday, February 22, 2008

Overcapitalised

I really enjoy the challenge of learning a new language. It is bemusing, perplexing, and at times, frustrating. At the moment I'm having a love/hate relationship with the requirement that all nouns must be capitalised.

I put this slightly bipolar attitude down to my laziness. I resent that when I write in German I have to take care to begin all nouns with a capital letter. On the other hand, it does offer the novice/complete hack a helping hand when reading - the nouns stand out like beacons and I find this helpful in untwisting the unfamiliar syntax.

Just don't get me started on separable verbs.

3 comments:

G in Berlin said...

Trennbar verbs I don't have so much trouble with. It's with adjective declination that I'm having trouble. And my spelling is so schrecklich it's carrying over to English: yesterday I forgot how to spell Artikel in English!

Nikki (www.bookpunks.com) said...

Oh man separable verbs. They make me want to throw things.

Anonymous said...

If you ever need a good laugh in the midst of German grammar check out Mark Twains That Awful German Language. Hilarious.